Using the Site
How do I get the Freading app on my Kindle Fire?
You can download the Freading app for your Kindle Fire through GetJar or through SlideMe.org
The easiest way to access the Freading app is tp go to the site SlideMe.org and search for Freading. You should be able to install from here without the hassle of GetJar.
For GetJar, make sure you have enabled "Download from unknown sources", and also make sure you have set the browser to optimize for mobile view. To do this on the NEW Kindle Fires, you open the browser, tap the menu button at the bottom, select Settings, and set "Requested website view" to Mobile. Then re-load the GetJar website, and search for Freading. When you try to download it, check the status bar to see if there has been a download. If there has, tap it, and install. At this point, you should have the GetJar app installed. Open this, and search again for Freading. This should allow you to download Freading. Make sure to check the status bar for a download.
How Do I download Adobe Digital Editions to read my Freading eBooks?
In order to download Freading eBooks, it is necessary to have Adobe Digital Editions installed into your computer. Mobile users will download their files into an application.
Product Page: http://www.adobe.com/go/digital-editions-2.0-dlpage
Direct Links for ADE:
Direct link to the Windows installer .exe (will show a browser downloads dialog)
Direct link to the Macintosh installer .dmg (will show a browser downloads dialog)
Please make sure that you have an Adobe ID. If you do not have one, you may create by going to "Don't Have an Adobe ID" at:
How Do I Use Freading Ebooks?
1) You need to have a valid library card from a library that has contracted the Freading eBook Service. Although www.freading.com is visible on the World Wide Web, you will be prompted for a valid library card before you can actually download a book. Only library cards from subscribing libraries will work. Valid users can enter the site either from the web or via their subscribing library web site.
2) You need to decide on what device that you will read the eBooks. The most popular devices that are compatible with Freading eBooks are:
- Any computer or laptop running a Windows or Mac platform with at least a modest hard drive, some free RAM, and a browser that has been updated in the past year or two. Major browsers such as IE, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome will show the site just fine.
- The nook family of devices from Barnes & Noble. We have specifically tested the nook Color and the Simple Touch Reader. The nook devices are not compatible with direct wireless downloading of Freading eBooks, but they accept transfers from your PC or Mac through a simple process.
- The Apple iPad® and iPhone®. The Freading eBook service has a free application in the Apple App Store which you can download. You must use the general browser to access your library’s Freading site, then you download the eBook into the application. Direct downloading from within the application is not possible.
- Most Android™ based tablets and phones. We say “most” because some devices are Android based, but do not allow access to the full Android App Market, but a subset of that store. The Freading eBook Service has a free application in the Android app Market, and tablets that allow you to download the app include tablets from Motorola, Sony, Samsung and Acer, among others. Downloading is possible from within the Freading Android App.
- The Kobo Ereader and Vox tablet. The Freading App is in the Getjar App store.
- The Kindle Fire, but not other Kindle Devices. The Kindle Fire accepts 3rd party apps through a few extra steps as indicated below.
3) All mobile device users will need an Adobe ID in order to activate their Freading app for use. If users do not already have an Adobe ID, they can create an ID by visiting the Adobe website .
eReader users (Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo) will also need an Adobe ID in order to utilize the Adobe® Digital Editions software on their PC. Adobe Digital Editions is a software program similar to iTunes in that it manages downloads and stores the eBooks on your PC. The Freading eBook site can tell you whether the Adobe Digital Editions software is on your computer. You can follow the link on the Freading homepage to download the Adobe Digital Editions software for free.
If the eReading device is not compatible with the Freading app (Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo), then the eBooks will need to be transferred from their PC to their eReader through the Adobe Digital Editions software.
What are tokens? All about tokens
Tokens are a virtual currency that you use to exchange for downloads. Your library gives you a weekly allotment which appears in the upper right hand corner of the home page after you login. When you choose a book, the amount of tokens labeled on the book is deducted from your account.
There are three different token costs of a book, downloads cost 4, 2 or 1 token depending on the value assigned by the publisher. In most cases newly published books are 4 tokens, then after a time period they drop to 2, and then after another time period they drop to 1. So in general, the token value is based on how new a book is. In some cases though, a publisher may have chosen a different criteria such as popularity.
Unused tokens roll over each week for a four week period, a week being defined as a Monday to Sunday period of seven days, beginning at 12:01AM Monday, New York time, and going to midnight on Sunday. At the end of the fourth week from the time you first logged in, unused tokens are cleaned out of your account, except for your original weekly allotment. The rolling over process then starts all over again, as a new four week cycle has begun. Your subscribing library decides the amount of tokens that users will have in their weekly allotment.
How long do I have the ebook for?
The Adobe Digital Editions software will limit your access to each ebook for a 2 week initial period. You can extend the loan period for one 2 week period by going back to the book display on the website and hitting the download button again. You will see that the token value has decreased since the initial loan. Most renewals are free.
Can I renew a book?
A book can be renewed for one 2 week period by going back to the book display on the website and hitting the download button again. You will see that the token value has decreased since the initial loan. Most renewals are free.
What is Adobe Digital Editions and how do I use it?
Adobe Digital Editions is a software that enables you to read the Freading ebook downloads, and it also stores and organizes the downloads, at least on a computer. Mobile users will download their files into an application.
Freading EPUB and PDF books are wrapped in the Adobe software, which acts as a digital rights management. This software limits the loan period, and prevents copying.
What devices work with the Freading ebook service?
While not a complete list, here are some of the most popular devices that work with the service:
- For direct downloading off the site you can use a PC or Mac. With our app, you can use the iPhone or iPad. With our app, you can use most Android tablets and phones. Tablets we have tested include Samsung Galaxy, Sony, Toshiba, Acer, Asus and Xoom.
- For transfer of an eBook via a computer and Adobe Digital Editions, you can use the Nook devices, the Sony reader and the Kobo reader. We suspect there are more compatible ereaders.
- Freading eBooks are available via the Kindle Fire by a special procedure, but not other Kindles.
- At the moment, Freading eBooks are only viewable on Nook tablets via transfer.
How do I get the Freading App on the Kindle Fire?
You may access the Freading app on the Kindle Fire through GetJar or slideMe.
For GetJar, make sure you have enabled "Download from unknown sources" and also make sure you have set the browser to optimize for mobile view. To do this on the NEW Kindle Fires, open the browser, tap the menu button at the bottom, select Settings, and set "Requested website view" to Mobile. Then re-load the GetJar website, and search for Freading. When you try to download it, check the status bar to see if there has been a download. If there has, tap it, and install. At this point, you should have the GetJar app installed. Open this, and search again for Freading. This should allow you to download Freading ebooks into the app. Again, you'll have to check the status bar for a download.
If NONE of that works, go to the site SlideMe.org and search for Freading. You should be able to install from here without the hassle of GetJar.
How do I use a Nook with Freading?
To use a Nook eReader or a Nook Color with Freading you'll need a computer with Adobe Digital Editions installed and authorized with an Adobe ID.
With Digital Editions opened on the computer, connect the Nook to the computer with the USB cable that came with the Nook. Once connected, Digital Editions will recognize the device and ask if you would like to authorize the Nook with the same Adobe ID as the computer. Select "Yes", and you will see the Nook appear as a bookshelf in Digital Editions.
Now, when you download a book from Freading and open it into Digital Editions you will be able to drag it onto the Nook.
What are your apps?
Our apps can be downloaded in the Apple App Store, the Android Marketplace, or at www.freading.com. Some libraries may have a link to the apps on their website. When in the Apple App Store or the Android Marketplace it may help to search for “Freading” and “Library Ideas”.
How do the Apps work?
Apple: The Apps functionality is to store and read the book. You must use the Safari browser to download a Freading eBook.
- Use the browser to access your library’s Freading site. Login as necessary.
- Download a book. You may be asked to “authorize” your device, which means you must login using your Adobe credentials when prompted.
- You will be asked where you want to download the file. Select the Freading app.
- After downloading, you will be able to read and navigate the book in the Freading app.
Android: You can use the App to download and read a book.
- Open the Freading app.
- Press the “grid” icon in the lower left hand corner to make a new group of menu icons appear.
- Press the “store” shopping cart icon to browse your library’s Freading site.
- Download and enjoy.
How do I renew a book?
Once your time period has expired, you can renew a book by visiting the book display again on the library’s Freading site. You will see that the token value has changed, and the renewal cost, if any, is displayed. You can go to the download link and downloading it will renew the eBook for 2 more weeks.
How do I get a book on more than one device?
The Adobe Digital Editions software will allow you to transfer eBooks to multiple, but not unlimited, devices. If you are not using a computer, you can re-download a book within your loan period at no cost by going to “My Downloads” in the upper right corner on the home page. This will allow you to re-download an eBook at no token cost up to two times.
What Publishers do you have?
While we do not publish a comprehensive list, we have dozens of internationally known publishers supplying some or all of their catalogs, including Sterling, Sourcebooks, Workman and Kensington. We encourage publishers to contact us for distribution.
What are Featured Books?
Featured Books are books recommended to you either by your local library, by the Freading staff, or the Publishers.
How often is new content added?
New content is generally added on a weekly basis.
About Library Ideas, LLC
Who is Library Ideas, LLC?
Library Ideas, LLC is a privately held company located in Fairfax, Virginia. Library Ideas supplies digital products and websites to libraries of all kinds around the world. Our signature products are Freading eBooks, Freegal Music and Rocket Languages for Libraries.
Our website is www.libraryideas.com